Friday, September 12, 2008

first day on site...

Today, Friday September 12, 2008, I visited for the first time the site I will be working on; and it was impressive. The center is called Fernando Centeno Guell, which serves as a special education school for either blind, deaf, or mentally retarded children. The facility was awesome, and my boss seems pretty solid; Pablo...not Escobar, but Vargas.
I believe I will be rotating between each school, but I can have a focus in one. I'm leaning toward working with the deaf...it seems awesome the way to sign and speak volumes with body language. The floors are wooden and 7 inches dense so that the teachers and administrators can tap their feet, and communicate with the deaf children. When we first arrived, the deaf children were playing percussion for the band, and low and behold, it was loud as sin so that they could feel the vibrations to get on beat. It's pretty cool to see how the human body can adapt to nearly anything.
After the orientation, Brother Jim, myself and the other volunteers went for a little "costa rican" lunch filled with rice, beans and coffee. It was delicious and authentic.
As for this evening, we are due at St. Francis College (high school across the street) at 5:00pm to watch the parade which kicks off the weekend festivities of Costa Rica's Independence Day which is Monday, the 15th. I hope all is going well stateside and elsewhere...hasta luego.

No comments: