Sunday, January 4, 2009

Back In The USS...Costa Rica

Christmas break was a most enjoyable time! I was greeted lovingly by my family, had an excellent first weekend filled with Angelo's Pizza, reunions with family and capped it off Sunday with an excellent Rockette's Christmas show to put us all in the mood. Later that evening, Moore made the trip up and Marty was in town, so we needless to say had some excellent man talk coupled with glasses of whiskey. It was frigid as I walked off of the plane in Newark; but now the reciprocal is true; 80 degrees and sunny. I suppose all things have there contra positive.
Break lasted two weeks; but I seldom was bored. Everyday was an opportunity to meet with friends and family to find out what they were up to and to share the experience I have had down here. On the eve of Christmas Eve Scott and I sat courtside of the Cavs vs. Rockets game...it was unreal. Yao Ming is the largest human I have ever seen. It truly is a different game when you're down there.
Christmas Eve at Grandma Smith's was heavenly as per usual. Christmas day was a treat to just hang out with my brother, sister, mother and father. Seldom, is it just the five of us, but it was an excellent dinner and cut of meat and a great memory I will have for the rest of my life.
After New Year's Eve, Erin and I went up to the Wilderness Lodge in PA to sit fireside and go cross-country skiing. Although I prefer downhill skiing, the atmosphere of the lodge makes up for the work one needs to do during cross country skiing. Friday, Nate and Angela met Erin and I there for an enjoyable Friday afternoon. It was awesome to get out in the country with some close friends. That evening, Marty treated Scott and I to a send off steak...stellar conversation and laughs. As evidenced by the above statements, my break could not have been better. I look forward to getting back into a regiment down here and hopefully giving some solid blogs! Thanks to all who made the break one for the books.

"He enjoys true leisure who has time to improve his soul's estate."
-Henry David Thoreau

4 comments:

kathy gaul said...

Hi Ed,
It was great to see you over break. Very interesting to hear about your life in Costa Rica. Keep on blogging!!

The MIZ said...

Ed.
I'm so glad you got to come home for the holidays, spend time with all your friends and family. It was so good to see you and to see that you are faring well in CR, it seems to agree with you. Enjoy the blogging Love, Grandma S

Brian O'Shea said...

glad to hear you had a good christmas. mine was full of relaxing with family and friends too, but now it's back at the grind. such is life.

Lil Sis said...

Dward,twas a wonderful break indeed! I'm already homesick esp. because Chicago has reached a record-breaking -20 degrees today! That does not include wind chill. Enjoy the heat, mi hermano...enjoy the heat.